Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"All Animals Are Equal, But Some Are More Equal Than Others"

I'm sorry that I don't post that much on here. It usually takes a large chunk of my day to write a thorough post and 3hrs + school work + student organizations + stress = no time to blog.
First i would like to formally say hi to everyone who started following me! one day i have 3 followers, the next day it's up to 10- that's a ptL to me :). Please don't be afraid to leave a comment- i love hearing other ppl's views and it really is a blessing to me.

Currently i'm reading through psalms and i'm just loving every minute of it. I've put reading this book off for the longest time and i'm glad I did. I don't think that I have been able to truly praise God up until this point of my walk with Christ so reading psalm any time before then just didn't mean that much to me. I could go on about how beautiful and passionate each chapter is but i'll stop before this post gets too long.

I've been coming across a few verses that really jump out at me:
"The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.Those who know me will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you."- Psalm 9:9&10

"But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless."- Psalm 10:14

"You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more."- Psalm 10:17-18

God has such a sense of humor. If you read my homosexuality post, at the end i stated that even though I identify myself with several worldly things, i first find my identity in Christ. It did not take God too long to test that statement. Recently i have been struggling with my identity as a human rights activist (and an environmental activist though both go together in my eyes) and i have had a hard time distinguishing this identity with my Christian identity- that's because i do not make a stand or associate myself with anything unless i feel like its biblically backed it up. Honestly i'm not completely out of this trial, but God is opening my eyes.

God hates injustice. He hates wickedness and he hates evil. It has taken me this long to understand that injustice does include the injustice that we see happening around the world. The people dying from starvation because their governments are withholding food from them, God hates. The people who are dying from polluted water and who cannot afford to buy fresh clean water because large water companies are asking too high of rates, God hates. The people in places like Iran, who are killed every day because they are publicly demanding that their governments play fair, God hates. Israeli-Palestinian Conflict- God hates that too (as in the countless injustice that happens on both sides).
All injustice, God hates.

But what do we do? What can be done?

Being in school, learning about International Relations 'stuff' like global governments, theories, systems, economics, etc- that is a major question that we try to answer. How do we bring justice to ALL injustice? How do we do this without creating more injustice? How do we bring justice and after that peace? How do we evolve into a society that can bring justice and peace for eternity?
How we yearn for peace. A time where there is no pain, there is no suffering, there is no hunger and there is no poverty. But no matter how much we may try, we cannot bring it. There will always be evil in the world as long as there is sin.

However, God- a being that is all good, all powerful, all knowing, and all holy- can bring that justice. I take the example that nature gives us. From far away- everything seems simple, primitive, even chaotic. But if you look closely- you see that all things are interconnected. There is a system that keeps everything working as it should.
It is the same with our lives. I believe that everyone's death happens for a reason. I believe that even though God is a God of justice, he is also a God of grace. Therefore, we may wonder where God is when ppl are victims of another persons wickedness, but I think we have to realize that it might be because God is giving them a chance to turn around- He did that with St. Paul after all. God hates evil, but he loves so much, that he will give evil-doers as much of a chance as everyone else change and do good.

That is the kind of love and grace that we could never show- and that is why we can never bring justice by ourselves. We may try to fool ourselves into believing that 'all men are equal' but the reality is that we also believe '...some are more equal than others' (to take a line from Animal Farm).
There are some people who you would rather see drop dead, than walk away free with no consequence. There are some people who you may be able to forgive but God help you if you ever forget. There are some people who you know have done such evil that if you saw them today, you know you would go on a righteous kill. It's that attitude that makes us human, and it's the ability to separate that feeling and giving grace anyway that makes God, God.

However, God is still a just God, and even though he brings grace, he is holy and cannot dwell with wickedness. Therefore. If a wicked man dies a wicked man- refusing to turn back to God, there will be justice that takes place. And it will be justly deserved, and it will be followed by peace.

Revelation Song:



Peace Be with You,
Tabby

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tabby,
    I can totally relate to the frustration of not being able to blog as much as I'd like to...I am also taking classes (full-time)trying to change careers.

    I tend to think though that quality is more important than quantity (just me) so I also take quite a bit of time writing my posts!

    There is a lot of thoughtfulness in your posts and you often tackle some big issues...but you always make me think, and I like that :)

    As for me...I tend to shy away from political solutions to moral problems...I so dislike politics!

    God bless,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete