Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A New Believer, what next? O.o

This once a week thing is killing me...

school has been hectic, my devotions have been occasional, and and i've been working a lot more since the beginning of this semester...

Recently, like more tonight that any time before, i've been really thinking about the man i will end up marrying (God willing of course...). Honestly, i am not planning on getting married any time soon- like mid to late (more mid) twenties are good for me but i have a feeling that whoever i end up with needs to be as unique as i am (and as amazing OBVIOUSLY.....)*psst. i was trying to be sarcastic :P*

Like i want a strong christian who knows the word and who is on the same page i am. Like i want someone who will hold me as accountable as i will with him. But i don't think i could stand being with a conservative christian- we'd get into so many fights it wouldn't even be worth it.

lol- but enough of me being a little girl- devotions!!!

I ended up doing the book of Psalms for my next project; i've been thinking that i should go through it. AND if you didn't know, that is where the title of this blog came from:

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on this law he mediates day and night. He is like tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers"
Psalm 1:2-3
(no duh, you should know that b/c it's right up there on the top of the screen :P)

I think this scripture is really important, to me and to everyone else. We are to meditate on God's word every single day. When we make it a habit to read God's word on a daily basis, we find ourselves at peace and more guarded from the enemy and his wickedness. It is when we dwell in God's word that be can consider ourselves righteous. When man decides that he is going to follow Christ, he is free from sin but is still prone to fall back into his sinful nature. Only through Christ can you dwell in good- consistently.

If you see anybody who has disciplined themselves to meditate on the world every day and every night you see a difference in how they handle their life. They handle the bad and messy with such grace and peace and confidence because their extensive look at the word has enable them to learn enough about God that they know that the "...Lord, has never forsaken those who seek [him]"

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that it is ok, as a Christian, to have doubt and to have questions about Christ and God and the Word. Those are things that God wants us to have in order to help us know him more- without the ability to think and have a mind and to have logic, we are not going to be able to learn about God more and learn to love him more.

I know that for me, asking my father about things i don't understand in the bible helped me with a lot of my doubts because he would sit me down with the word and pull out scripture to help me bridge gaps in my knowledge. Some things tho, i just left unanswered but kept on reading my bible and God opened my eyes to the answers of the questions i had in my heart.

I know that recently i've been feeling a little frustrated- i don't understand why no one can see this! if you trust in God and you pray for understanding he will not forsake you. If you seek him, He will answer. I know it's true because it happens to me all the time- to the the point that i hardly remember them now a days. God is always opening my eyes to things that i couldn't have seen without him. My father is like that and some of my really close friends are like that as well :)

So i guess what i'm saying is that if one is reading the word but is not understanding it, or even having doubts about it- continue reading and continue praying and find a spiritual mentor to help guide you. The biggest and hardest part about being a new believer is that there is a lot of faith and trust that needs to be put in from early- that's because there really isn't a lot you know about God yet on an intellectual level. The next step for someone who want to really take their faith seriously is to meditate on God's word day and night- whether or not it makes sense at first. Have faith!

a collection of all the other passages i liked from my devotions:

25/3/09
"Many are saying of me, 'God will not deliver him.' But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow your glory on me and you lift my head. To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill."
Psalm 3:2-4

"I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side"
Psalm 3:5-6

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
Psalm 4:8

Sunday-
"He who is pregnant with evil and conceives trouble give birth to disillusionment. He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made. The trouble he cause recoils on himself; his violence comes down on his own head."
Psalm 7:14-16

Wednesday-
"The Lord is a refuge for the opposed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you."
Psalm 9:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment